The mission of CBE JU is to advance a competitive bioeconomy for a sustainable Europe. To achieve this goal, in 2022, the public-private partnership will fund projects developing innovative and sustainable bio-based solutions, with a focus on these strategic priorities: feedstock, processing, products, as well as cross-cutting aspects of communication and environmental sustainability. These priorities are set in the CBE JU’s Strategic Research and Innovation Agenda (SRIA) for the 2022-2030 period.
- Call identifier: HORIZON-JTI-CBEJU-2022
- Call launch: 22 June 2022
- Call deadline: 22 September 2022 17:00 CET
- Call budget: €120 million
Call topics and budget
In 2022, CBE JU will welcome project proposals across 12 topics with a total indicative budget of €120 million:
- HORIZON-JU-CBE-2022-IA-01 Biogenic carbon capture and use (CCU) for circular bio-based products - €10 million
- HORIZON-JU-CBE-2022-IA-02 Cooperative business models for sustainable mobilisation and valorisation of agricultural residues, by-products, and waste in rural areas - €10 million
- HORIZON-JU-CBE-2022-IA-03 Cost-effective production routes towards bio-based alternatives to fossil-based chemical building blocks - €12 million
- HORIZON-JU-CBE-2022-IA-04 Co-processing of mixed bio-based waste streams - €12 million
Innovation Actions - Flagships
- HORIZON-JU-CBE-2022-IAFlag-01 Maximum valorisation of sustainably sourced bio-based feedstock in multi-product, zero-waste, zero-pollution biorefinery - €14 million
- HORIZON-JU-CBE-2022-IAFlag-02 Alternative sources for high added value food and/or feed ingredients - €14 million
Research and Innovation Actions
- HORIZON-JU-CBE-2022-R-01 High performance bio-based polymers for market applications with stringent requirements - €9 million
- HORIZON-JU-CBE-2022-R-02 Bio-based coatings, barriers, binders, and adhesives - €9 million
- HORIZON-JU-CBE-2022-R-03 Circular-by-design bio-based materials to improve the circularity of complex structures - €9 million
- HORIZON-JU-CBE-2022-R-04 Proteins from alternative and unconventional sources - €9 million
- HORIZON-JU-CBE-2022-R-05 Sustainable fibres biorefineries feedstock - €9 million
Coordination and Support Actions
- HORIZON-JU-CBE-2022-S-01 Developing and validating monitoring systems of environmental sustainability and circularity: collection of best practices and benchmarks - €3 million
Disclaimer: The anticipated total contribution of CBE JU funding for each topic is the estimated amount which would allow the specific challenge to be addressed appropriately. Nonetheless, this estimate does not preclude the submission and selection of proposals with another requested contribution.
Types of action funded by the call
CBE JU is funding three types of actions:
- Research and Innovation Actions (RIAs) establish new knowledge or explore the feasibility of a new or improved technology, product, process, service or solution. These may include basic and applied research, technology development and integration, testing, demonstration, and validation on a small-scale prototype, in a laboratory or simulated environment.
- Innovation Actions (IAs) scale up activities from prototype to product validation and market replication. Flagships, an important and specific type of IAs, in particular deploy a first-of-its-kind innovation on the European market.
- Coordination and Support Actions (CSAs), among other, structure stakeholder communities, support technological visions and outreach, as well as disseminate and exploit research results.
After the call deadline, the CBE JU Programme Office will organise the evaluation of the submitted proposals with the help of external experts.
The applicants will receive information about the outcome of the evaluation by the end of February 2023 the latest.
CBE JU is expected to sign grant agreements with the successful applicants by the end of May 2023.
These are the documents you will need to submit your project proposal. You will also find them in the submission system:
Apply as an expert
Are you an expert in the fields of this call but are not planning to submit a proposal? Consider applying as an evaluator to help CBE JU select the best proposals in this and future calls:
- Create or update your expert profile via the European Commission’s Funding & tenders portal
- E-mail experts [at] cbe.europa.eu by 29 June 2022, mentioning your expert profile number (format EX20XX1234567).
Relevant documents and links to prepare your proposal: