Call for proposals 2023
- Call identifier: HORIZON-JU-CBE-2023
- Call launch: 26 April 2023
- Call deadline: 20 September 2023 17:00 CET
- Call budget: €215.5 million
CBE JU calls follow the rules and procedures of Horizon Europe, the EU’s research and innovation programme. Find more information about Horizon Europe’s funding opportunities.
Innovation actions – flagship (IA-flagship)
- HORIZON-JU-CBE-2023-IAFlag-01 Optimised and integrated wood-based value chains - €17 million
- HORIZON-JU-CBE-2023-IAFlag-02 Expansion and/or retro-fitting of biorefineries towards higher-value bio-based chemicals and intermediates - €17 million
- HORIZON-JU-CBE-2023-IAFlag-03 Bio-based packaging materials with improved properties: barrier, food contact, forming, printability, safety, recyclability/circularity-by-design - €17 million
- HORIZON-JU-CBE-2023-IAFlag-04 Valorisation of aquatic biomass waste and residues - €10 million
Innovation actions (IA)
- HORIZON-JU-CBE-2023-IA-01 Small-scale biorefining in rural areas - €15 million
- HORIZON-JU-CBE-2023-IA-02 Production of safe, sustainable, and efficient bio-based fertilisers to improve soil health and quality - €15 million
- HORIZON-JU-CBE-2023-IA-03 Improve fermentation processes (including downstream purification) to final bio-based products - €15 million
- HORIZON-JU-CBE-2023-IA-04 Recycling bio-based plastics increasing sorting and recycled content (upcycling) - €15 million
- HORIZON-JU-CBE-2023-IA-05 Development of scalable, safe bio-based surfactants with an improved sustainability profile - €15 million
- HORIZON-JU-CBE-2023-IA-06 Selective, sustainable production routes towards bio-based alternatives to fossil-based chemical building blocks - €15 million
- HORIZON-JU-CBE-2023-IA-07 High performance, circular-by design, bio-based composites - €15 million
Research and innovation actions (RIA)
- HORIZON-JU-CBE-2023-R-01 Phyto-management; curing soil with industrial crops, utilising contaminated and saline land for industrial crop production - €10 million
- HORIZON-JU-CBE-2023-R-02 Optimised forest-based value chains for high-value applications and improved forest management - €10 million
- HORIZON-JU-CBE-2023-R-03 Robust and optimised industrial biotech and chemical/industrial biotech processes - €10 million
- HORIZON-JU-CBE-2023-R-04 Development of novel, high-performance bio-based polymers and co-polymers - €10 million
- HORIZON-JU-CBE-2023-R-05 Pre-normative research to develop standards for biodegradability of bio-based products in controlled and open environments - €5 million
Coordination and support actions (CSA)
- HORIZON-JU-CBE-2023-S-01 EU-wide network of pilot plants and testing facilities, improving SMEs and start-ups' access to scale-up - €1.5 million
- HORIZON-JU-CBE-2023-S-02 Supporting the capacity of regions in environmental sustainability assessment for the bio-based sectors - €3 million
Check the Annual Work Programme 2023 for the complete topic text, conditions and requirements, and the FAQ for the frequently asked questions.
The topics for submission will be published on the EU’s Funding & tender opportunities portal.
The Horizon Online Manual provides more information about the different application steps. Please also check the How to apply section on the CBE JU website.
These are the main steps to select the projects funded by this call for proposals:
20 April 2023
CBE JU Info Day
The info day takes place in Brussels and online, part of it is dedicated to networking meetings.
26 April 2023
Call publication & opening
Applicants can submit their proposal in the EU’s Funding & tender opportunities portal.
20 September 2023
The deadline for submitting your proposal is at 17:00 CET.
Applicants receive the evaluation results.
Grant agreements signature
After a few months of preparation, CBE JU signs grant agreements with the successful applicants.
Types of action funded by CBE JU
CBE JU funds three types of actions:
- Research and Innovation Actions (RIAs) establish new knowledge or explore the feasibility of a new or improved technology, product, process, service or solution. These may include basic and applied research, technology development and integration, testing, demonstration, and validation on a small-scale prototype, in a laboratory or simulated environment.
- Innovation Actions (IAs) scale up activities from prototype to product validation and market replication. Flagships, an important and specific type of IAs, in particular deploy a first-of-its-kind innovation on the European market.
- Coordination and Support Actions (CSAs), among other, structure stakeholder communities, support technological visions and outreach, as well as disseminate and exploit research results.
The mission of CBE JU is to advance a competitive bioeconomy for a sustainable Europe. To achieve this goal, the public-private partnership is funding projects developing innovative and sustainable bio-based solutions, with a focus on these strategic priorities: feedstock, processing, products, as well as cross-cutting aspects of communication and environmental sustainability. These priorities are set in the CBE JU’s Strategic Research and Innovation Agenda (SRIA) for the 2022-2030 period.
Apply as an expert
Are you an expert in the circular bio-based industries fields but are not planning to submit a proposal? Consider applying as an evaluator to help CBE JU select the best proposals in future calls:
- Create or update your expert profile via the European Commission’s Funding & tenders portal
- E-mail experts [at] cbe.europa.eu by end-May 2023, mentioning your expert profile number (format EX20XX1234567).
These are the documents needed to submit your project proposal. You can find them in the submission system: