The CBE JU Programme Office has received 125 project proposals by the 22 September deadline for the 2022 call. Applicants have requested over €600 million in CBE JU funding, against the indicative call budget of €120 million. Evaluation of the project proposals will take place between October and December 2022, and applicants will receive the call results by the end of February 2023 at the latest.
This first CBE JU call invited applicants to submit project proposals across 12 different topics, to advance competitive circular bio-based industries in Europe.
The submitted proposals are distributed per topics as follows:
- HORIZON-JU-CBE-2022-IA-01 Biogenic carbon capture and use (CCU) for circular bio-based products - topic budget €10 million: 5 proposals submitted requesting €25.9 million in funding.
- HORIZON-JU-CBE-2022-IA-02 Cooperative business models for sustainable mobilisation and valorisation of agricultural residues, by-products, and waste in rural areas - topic budget €10 million: 2 proposals submitted requesting €9.9 million in funding.
- HORIZON-JU-CBE-2022-IA-03 Cost-effective production routes towards bio-based alternatives to fossil-based chemical building blocks - topic budget €12 million: 5 proposals submitted requesting €28.4 million in funding.
- HORIZON-JU-CBE-2022-IA-04 Co-processing of mixed bio-based waste streams - topic budget €12 million: 4 proposals submitted requesting €22.7 million in funding.
Innovation Actions - Flagships
- HORIZON-JU-CBE-2022-IAFlag-01 Maximum valorisation of sustainably sourced bio-based feedstock in multi-product, zero-waste, zero-pollution biorefinery - topic budget €14 million: 6 proposals submitted requesting €71 million in funding.
- HORIZON-JU-CBE-2022-IAFlag-02 Alternative sources for high added value food and/or feed ingredients - topic budget €14 million: 4 proposals submitted requesting €27.7 million in funding.
Research and Innovation Actions
- HORIZON-JU-CBE-2022-R-01 High performance bio-based polymers for market applications with stringent requirements - topic budget €9 million: 16 proposals submitted requesting €72.2 million in funding.
- HORIZON-JU-CBE-2022-R-02 Bio-based coatings, barriers, binders, and adhesives - topic budget €9 million: 26 proposals submitted requesting €110.7 million in funding.
- HORIZON-JU-CBE-2022-R-03 Circular-by-design bio-based materials to improve the circularity of complex structures - topic budget €9 million: 15 proposals submitted requesting nearly €66 million in funding.
- HORIZON-JU-CBE-2022-R-04 Proteins from alternative and unconventional sources - topic budget €9 million: 26 proposals submitted requesting €115.6 million in funding.
- HORIZON-JU-CBE-2022-R-05 Sustainable fibres biorefineries feedstock - topic budget €9 million: 9 proposals submitted requesting €39.3 million in funding.
Coordination and Support Actions
- HORIZON-JU-CBE-2022-S-01 Developing and validating monitoring systems of environmental sustainability and circularity: collection of best practices and benchmarks - Topic budget €3 million: 7 proposals submitted requesting €16.5 million in funding.
CBE JU Programme Office will now check the admissibility and eligibility of all the proposals submitted. The evaluation of the proposals will be carried out with the help of external experts beginning in October 2022, and the applicants will receive information about the outcomes of the evaluations by the end of February 2023 (at the latest). Once the grant agreement preparation with the proposals retained for funding is completed, CBE JU will sign the grant agreements, which is expected to occur by the end of May 2023.